Wineglass Bay Explorer (Launceston)
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: WBX
We depart Launceston ready for an action-packed day out exploring Wineglass Bay, Freycinet National Park and the delights & highlights along the way.
Our drive this morning takes us through the well-preserved Georgian townships of Evandale and Campbell Town. We make a short stop in Campbell Town where you can collect some lunch to take along for the day ahead. You will have time to discover the Convict Brick Trail that extends through the town, visit the Red Bridge, and check out the tree sculptures depicting the history of the town.
After a brief stop in Campbell Town we travel to the East Coast, where we catch an amazing view of the area at the Great Oyster Bay Lookout and an opportunity to purchase some fresh oysters plucked from the beautiful surrounding waters.
Once inside Freycinet National Park we begin a series of walks and exploration of the area. We walk as a group to the Wineglass Bay Lookout, a moderate uphill walk of around 45 - 60 minutes. Here the views make the walk well worth the effort!
For the keen walkers, you can continue the walk down to Wineglass Bay beach (2.5 hr return walking time). Once on the beach you have time to take a swim, relax, eat your lunch or meander along the white sands. Or, if you prefer to select the shorter walking option, you can explore other areas of Freycinet with our tour guide. Visit Honeymoon Bay and the Cape Tourville Lighthouse “Great Short Walk”.
We re-group ready for the return journey. While still on the East Coast we make a final stop for the day, where you can refresh and refuel in a friendly and relaxed location. Try the local hand-crafted Ice creams or perhaps a famous Tasmanian Scallop Pie! Then it is onwards into Launceston returning around 6.30pm.
• Explore Freycinet National Park (4+ hours)
• Walk to the spectacular Wineglass Bay Lookout (moderate uphill walk 45 mins)
• Choose the option to extend your walk to the white sands of Wineglass Bay (longer walking option 2.5 hours)
• Visit beautiful Honeymoon Bay
• Take in the spectacular 360 degree views on the Cape Tourville Lighthouse Walk (easy 20 mins)
• Enjoy some fresh oysters from Freycinet Marine Farm
• Reward yourself with local hand-crafted ice cream or a famous Tasmanian Scallop Pie at the end of the day!
• Visit the historic town of Campbell Town and the Convict Brick Trail.
• National Park entrance fee
• Professional guides & interpretative walks
• Small, friendly groups
• Central Launceston Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
• Food and drinks
You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase a bakery style takeaway lunch on the day.
What to bring/wear
• Sensible shoes for walking
• A variety of warm & weatherproof clothing
• Hat & Sunscreen
• Large water bottle, snacks, lunch (or buy it on the day)
• Sense of adventure
Our tours are active and visit National Parks and wild areas that involve some walking. We focus on the great short walks of Tasmania. Although most of the walks are classified as easy, a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential. All tour participants will be participating in outdoor, active activities and therefore subject to the outdoor weather conditions of the day.
We educate all our guests on Minimal Impact Bushwalking and the Leave No Trace policy’s before entering our National Parks. We provide accurate interpretation and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimise negative impacts.