Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake offer superb natural beauty, wildlife and Tasmania’s premier day walking opportunities.
Cradle Mountain National Park is an area of iconic scenery with a wide variety of walking trails to choose from in this stunning World Heritage listed area. With around 5 hours to spend in the National Park we leave our walking itinerary flexible to suit our guests and the weather conditions on the day.
After departing Launceston we enjoy a short stop in Sheffield – The Town of Murals. Sheffield is a small and quirky village where the history of the Cradle Mountain region is depicted in artworks across the buildings throughout the town, this includes the opportunity to see the famous Eason’s Mural.
We continue our journey into the mountains and arrive at Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake with around 5 hours of possible walking time before us. We begin with a series of short walks to Rainforest City and Pencil Pine Falls. From here we can choose from the gentle and iconic Dove Lake Circuit an easy 2 hour walk with amazing mountain views. For the more active, we offer the chance to climb to the loftier heights of Marion’s Lookout. This walk is well rewarded with amazing 360 degree views of the surrounding World Heritage wilderness area.
Enjoy lunch by a quiet stream, watch the famous and friendly Cradle wombats in their natural habitat, or enjoy the many
photographic opportunities that abound. Learn some of the local history as we visit Weindorfer’s Chalet and see the ancient King Billy Pines on Weindorfer’s Forest Walk.
Cradle Mountain is the backdrop for a truly memorable and not to be missed Tasmanian experience.
On our return to Launceston, we stop and sample some local tasty products at the award-winning Ashgrove Cheese Factory.
We return to Launceston around 6.30pm after a huge yet unforgettable Cradle Mountain day.
- Explore Cradle Mountain National Park & World Heritage Area (4-5 hours)
- Stand on the shore of the spectacular setting of Dove Lake
- Enjoy some short introductory walks and interpretation to the area
- Walk along the “Rainforest City” & “Pencil Pine Falls” tracks
- Take on the Dove Lake circuit walk (easy grade 2-3 hours)
- Or, take on the harder walk to the lofty views of Marion’s Lookout (medium grade 2-3 hours)
- Explore the historic Weindorfers Chalet
- Walk amongst the ancient King Billy Pines on Weindorfers Forest Walk
- Visit Sheffield the ‘Town of Murals’ with over 30 murals painted across the town showing the history of the area.
- Taste a variety of local cheeses or reward yourself with a local ice-cream at Ashgrove Cheese Factory
- National Parks Entrance Fees
- Professionally guided and interpreted walks
- Central Launceston Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
- Free tastings at Ashgrove Cheese
- Food and drinks
You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase a bakery style takeaway lunch on the day.
What to bring/wear
Sensible shoes for walking
A variety of warm clothing, beanie/hat/gloves
Weatherproof jacket if possible
Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
Sense of adventure
Duration: 1 Day
Departs: Launceston 7.30am
Returns: Launceston 6.30 – 7.00 pm
Days: Wednesday, Friday & Sunday (01 May – 30
Days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday (01 Dec – 30 April)