Maria Island Day Tour
- Duration: 1 Days (approx.)
- Location: Hobart, TAS
- Product code: MI
Step back in time, slow down and enjoy a big day out on this island National Park. Maria Island has a diverse range of highlights including convict history, spectacular coastal cliffs and deserted beaches. Access to the island is by Ferry for foot passengers only (no cars on this island). Bring your comfortable walking shoes ready to stretch your legs and explore this island paradise.
Just one hour’s drive from Hobart to the ferry and 45 minutes across the water, brings us to Maria Island - a stunning island National Park. It is rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. We enjoy a series of moderate walks exploring the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming.
This is a tour for active travellers who are keen to walk and enjoy this unique island. Setting out on foot we have 2 main walking trails for the day, covering a total distance of almost 10 kilometers. Both of our walks are categorised as Great Short Walks of Tasmania. The Painted Cliffs Walk at Hopground Beach feature the beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. The Fossil Cliffs walk, takes us along to amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. It offers a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island along with expansive views of the Freycinet Peninsula.
You have an opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Maria Island is a National Park so we are exposed to all that nature will offer on the day, so please come prepared.
The island is a haven for abundant wildlife, it is one of Tasmania’s bird watching hot spots. Wombats can also be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
Even the ferry ride is part of the highlights of the day, the waters we cross are also abundant in sea life, we keep our eyes peeled for dolphins, seals and penguins along the way.
Join us on this day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
• Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
• Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
• Walk to amazing “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
• Enjoy spectacular views as walk to the “Fossil Cliffs”
• Explore and discover the geological history amongst the exposed fossils
• Walk around and discover and the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
• Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their amazing island
• Relax and take in all the stunning secluded bays and beaches in this paradise setting
• National Park entrance fee
• Return ferry crossing fee
• Professional guides and interpretive walks
• Small, friendly groups
• Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
• Airport drop offs on request with prior arrangement
• Food and drinks
You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase a bakery style takeaway lunch on the day.
What to bring/wear
• Sensible shoes for a full day walking
• A variety of warm clothing
• Weatherproof jacket if possible
• Large Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
• Sense of adventure
Important Note: Maria Island is a special, beautiful and wild island National Park accessible by boat. There are no cars, shops etc. on the island. Facilities are limited. Please ensure you are able to carry everything you will need for the day. You will need a day pack to carry warm clothing as necessary. A jacket suitable for walking in light rain conditions. Equally, you will need adequate sun protection should it be a warm sunny day. Please ensure you have a large water bottle. You will have an opportunity to purchase lunch/sandwiches in the morning but we recommend you buy your snacks prior to the day if you prefer. Please ensure you wear comfortable footwear for walking. The walking on Maria Island is graded as easy-moderate walking. However, we are on the island for around 6 hours, with around 10 kilometers of walking trails to explore. Please ensure your clothing and footwear is adequate for this type of activity in the great outdoors. There is time to swim and relax should you choose to.
Duration: 1 Day
Departs: Hobart 7.30am
Returns: Hobart 6.30 - 7.00pm
Days: Tuesday & Thursday (01 Dec – 31 March)