Maria Island Day Tour
- Duration : 1 Days (approx.)
- Location: Hobart, TAS
- Product code : MI
Step back in time, slow down and enjoy a big day out on this island National Park. Maria Island has a diverse range of highlights including convict history,
spectacular coastal cliffs and deserted beaches.
Just one hour’s drive from Hobart, on Tasmania’s East Coast, Maria Island is a stunning island National Park accessed by boat. It is rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. We enjoy a series of moderate walks exploring the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming without the crowds.
This is a tour for active travellers who are keen to walk and enjoy this unique island. Setting out on foot we have 2 main walking trails this day, covering a total distance of almost 10 kms. Both of our walks are categorised as Great Short Walks of Tasmania. The Painted Cliffs Walk at Hopground Beach feature the beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. The Fossil Cliffs walk, takes you to amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. It offers a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island along with expansive views of the Freycinet Peninsula.
You have an opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Maria Island is a National Park so we are exposed to all that nature will offer on the day, so please come prepared. The island is a haven for abundant wildlife, it is one of Tasmania’s bird watching hot spots. Wombats can also be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
Even the ferry ride is part of the highlights of the day, the waters we cross are also abundant in sea life, we keep our eyes peeled for dolphins, seals and penguins along the way.
Join us on this day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
- Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
- Return ferry (45mins each way)
- Painted Cliffs “Great Short Walk”
- Fossil Cliffs “Great Short Walk”
- Darlington World Heritage convict site
- Amazing, abundant wildlife
- Stunning secluded beaches and bays
- National Park entrance fee
- Return ferry crossing fee
- Professional guides and interpretive walks
- Small, friendly groups
- CBD Hotel/Hostel pick up and drop off
- Meals - You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase your lunch/refreshments on the day.