Hobart to Launceston via Wineglass Bay
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: HWBL
An action-packed tour day travelling from Hobart to Launceston via the world-famous Wineglass Bay and Tasmania’s stunning East Coast.
We depart Hobart heading east then following the coastline north. We travel through the seaside towns of Orford and Swansea as we make our way to Freycinet National Park. Freycinet is one of Tasmania’s first National Parks, famous for its rich and stunning coastal landscapes. Pink Granite Mountains form the backdrop for secluded bays, pristine waters, white sandy beaches, local wildlife and amazing walking trails.
As we enter the Freycinet area we have a brief stop at the Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in the local oysters’ fresh from the surrounding pristine waters.
We walk as a group to the Wineglass Bay Lookout, a moderate uphill walk of around 45 - 60 minutes. Here the views make the walk well worth the effort!
For the keen walkers, you can continue the walk down to Wineglass Bay beach (2.5 hr return walking time). Once on the beach you have time to take a swim, relax, eat your lunch or meander along the white sands. Or, if you prefer to select the shorter walking option, you can explore other areas of Freycinet with our tour guide. Visit beautiful Honeymoon Bay, Sleepy Bay and the Cape Tourville Lighthouse Walk.
We re-group ready for the return journey. While still on the East Coast we make a final stop for the day, where you can refresh and refuel in a friendly and relaxed location. Try the local hand-crafted Ice creams or perhaps a famous Tasmanian Scallop Pie! Then it is onwards into Launceston arriving around 6.30pm.
• Explore Freycinet National Park (4+ hours)
• Walk to the spectacular Wineglass Bay Lookout (moderate uphill walk 45 mins)
• Choose the option to extend your walk to the white sands of Wineglass Bay (longer walking option 2.5 hours)
• Visit beautiful Honeymoon Bay & Sleepy Bay
• Take in the spectacular 360 degree views on the Cape Tourville Lighthouse Walk (easy 20 mins)
• Enjoy some fresh oysters at Freycinet Marine Farm
• Reward yourself with local hand crafted ice-cream or a famous Tasmanian Scallop Pie at the end of the day!
• National Park entrance fee
• Professional guides & interpretative walks
• Small, friendly groups
• Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and Launceston central city drop off
• Food and drinks
You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase a bakery style takeaway lunch on the day.
What to bring/wear
• Sensible shoes for walking
• A variety of warm & weatherproof clothing
• Hat & Sunscreen
• Large water bottle, snacks, lunch (or buy it on the day)
• Sense of adventure
Our tours are active and visit National Parks and wild areas that involve some walking. We focus on the great short walks of Tasmania. Although most of the walks are classified as easy, a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential. All tour participants will be participating in outdoor, active activities and therefore subject to the outdoor weather conditions of the day.
We educate all our guests on Minimal Impact Bushwalking and the Leave No Trace policy’s before entering our National Parks. We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimise negative impacts.